Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tourist for a time


In an attempt to save my bike (and body) from complete destruction I did the tourist thing and took a 4 day jeep tour out into the border zone. What started out as 3 soon expanded to an international contingent of 7.

The aim was Khoton Lake, but somewhere along the way there was a slight misunderstanding between us and the driver and we headed to a completely different place. After sorting out the mistake and losing a day doubling back, we finally made it to the lake.

Apart from the beauty of the scenery, the lake area is of interest archaeologically. On nearby rocks there are Bronze and Iron age petroglyphs and nearby are Turkic tombs with standing- stones carved in human form.


All very interesting but I am glad I didn't cycle out to see them. It would have been a major undertaking; isolated, unforgiving weather and crap roads, but I would expect no less from this part of the country.


I have also had a glimpse into the tourist industry and it leaves an after-taste not dissimilar to the marmot. With the idea of value for money and 'service' alien to the majority of Mongolians , it would be very easy to develop a jaded, pessimistic view and the opinion that everyone is out to screw you. It makes me glad to be out on my own seeing what the locals really have to offer.

No comments: