Saturday, August 25, 2007

A thwarted theft

Walking home from dinner, I noticed a man riding a bicycle from the vicinity of the ger camp where I was staying.
'That looks like my bike...FUCK, that IS my bike' and I was off.
My companions didn't quite know what to make of it as I started running and yelling after the hapless thief, but they soon came on board.
Luckily he wasn't a very good cyclist and fell off in the loose gravel. He left the bike and took off on foot. A passerby stopped and detained him until we caught up and with my German companions standing guard, I went to retrieve my bike and get the guesthouse owner. Within minutes the police came and he was carted off.
He had forced the lock on my ger, having first looked into them all to find which one had an occupant. Now I lock my bike inside the ger. A useful lesson. I also thank my good fortune for the timing. One more minute and I would have lost it all.

No comments: