Thursday, June 5, 2008

Route of Remembrance




Armed with the Idiot's guide to World War I and a collection of trench maps, I cycled through some of the key battle sights on the Western Front starting at Amiens and ending at Passendale in Belgium.


The soft, green, rolling hills and woods hide the horror that happened here. Even a vivid imagination can't touch on the monstrosity that swept through this region and destroyed millions of young lives and hopes.

After one day, I was thoroughly depressed. After 2, I despaired and cried for the needless waste. By day 3 I could take no more death as I travelled through a region which is nothing short of an extended cemetery. Even after 90 years, bodies are still being recovered from where they disappeared into anonymity in the mud.

All I hope is that we have learnt.......................


.................though I am afraid we haven't.

No comments: