Saturday, July 4, 2009

Iceland (desp)Air

Fate never really works out the way you want it to...at least not when planes, bicycles and myself are concerned! Let this be a warning!

When I rang the call centre after I bought the tickets I was told that a) I didn't need to pre-book the bike and b) I would be able to obtain (for a small fee) a plastic bike bag at the airport. Neither of these were correct and I was checked in but my bike was refused.
Surprisingly....my bike was not allowed to be put on a later flight. It had to fly with me..or not at all!
I was also told that I could ring the call centre and for a small fee change my departure to the next flight. Unfortunately the call centre was in Iceland and a 2 hour time difference! By the time we could call it was too late. I was registered as a no-show..despite having a boarding pass!

In the end the call center staff were rather unhelpful and decidedly uncompromising which is interesting considering the state of the national finances and in the end I was left with no alternative but to buy another ticket if I wanted to visit their country. Not relishing spending upwards of 600 euros for another flight I cancelled the return trip.

The country is bankrupt and I blame the airlines...not the bankers!

Change of plans instead....cycle like crazy to Norway and the Arctic Circle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...there is a reason why Iceland is bankrupt :-) - greetz Dieter